Due to ongoing concerns for the potential transfer of the coronavirus (COVID-19), and under the Governor’s State of Emergency and the CDC’s recommendation to limit gatherings, New Castle County Parks is issuing limited permits for park pavilions, sports fields, and special events). Permit applications must be received 2 weeks prior to the reservation date requested. All permits are conditional and may be canceled by New Castle County at any time. Please note any sport field reservations for competitive play must have a safety and social distancing plan approved by the State Division of Public Health. For approval and more information, please contact: HSPcontact@delaware.gov Guidance for what the safety plan should include can be found at https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/177/2020/06/Play-Safely-Sports-Guidance-6-19-20.pdf
Our parks remain open to the public for regular use; however, please keep in mind, that play equipment and other park fixtures are not sanitized by the County. Masks are required when you cannot maintain a minimum of 6 feet distance from others outside of your family unit.
New Castle County encourages the public to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) procedures for limiting potential transmission causes. Common procedures include practicing good hygiene by washing hands with soap and water and then using hand sanitizer, avoiding large activities and gatherings, and staying home if you are feeling sick or have a sick family member in the home.
We will continue to monitor the situation, work with the Division of Public Health, closely follow CDC guidelines, and State recommendations.
Thank you for your interest in New Castle County parks. The Parks Permits office is glad to be of service to New Castle County patrons seeking reservations for pavilions, sports fields and courts, and/or special events. Please review all policies, procedures, and attachments to assist you in the rental process, applicable for the 2020 rental season.
All permits for reservations within New Castle County parks
- Are for the permitted rental season April 1st to October 31st
- Are issued on a first come, first serve basis after application and full payment are received
- Must be approved by the Parks Permits office a minimum of fourteen (14) days prior to an event. Approval is at the sole discretion of the Parks Permits office.
- Can only be changed, cancelled, or added upon by the permittee. Any changes, cancellations, and additions must be submitted to the Parks Permits Office in writing.
- Police coverage, traffic control, additional parking, and emergency support may be required at the discretion of the Parks Permits office. Permittee is responsible for paying any and all additional costs associated with additional services.
- Our office is happy to offer a 20% discount to nonprofit organizations when qualifying 501C3 documentation is submitted with a request.
- Amplified sound is not permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages and/or illegal substances are prohibited on County Parkland.
- Parking and/or driving on the grass and/or walking path(s) is prohibited.
- Admission fees or fees for rented games/booths may not be charged in County parks.
- Distribution of any educational or religious materials is restricted to event attendees only.
- Permit holder/park users must adhere to all rules and regulations contained within New Castle County, Delaware, Code of Ordinances Chapter 24 - PARKS AND RECREATION.
- A $25 non-resident fee will be charged for all reservations made under an address outside of New Castle County.
We offer pavilions at the following sites:
Banning Park, Becks Pond, Brandywine Springs Park, Glasgow Regional Park, Iron Hill Park, Paper Mill Park, Talley Day Park, Weiss Park, and Woodshaven Kruse
All sites have picnic tables and grills. We offer single day, single permittee rentals at pavilions from 10:00am to 8:00pm. Pavilions are the only sites that may be reserved online. Permittees who reserve pavilions with indoor restrooms should be reminded that they will need to come into our office to pick up the rental key during the week prior to their event. We require a $50 exact cash deposit at the time of key exchange. This deposit is refundable to you after your event at the discretion of the Parks Permits office. A Special Event application is required for events with attendance over the permitted amount and/or at the discretion of the Parks Permits office.
Special Events, Walks, and 5Ks
A Special Event application is required for all events within New Castle County parks. A Special Event application may be required in addition to other applications at the discretion of the Parks Permits office. If the event is advertised and/or open to the public, a Special Event application is required. Permittee is responsible for paying the $250 Special Event fee as well as any and all additional costs associated with Special Events. Payment of a $100 nonrefundable deposit as well as full payment of any other rental fees (for a pavilion, field, court, etc.) must be submitted upon request.
Sports Fields and Courts
We offer rentals for sports fields and courts at many sites throughout New Castle County. Full payment must be submitted upon request for any request that totals less than $100 in rental fees. For requests that total more than $100 in rental fees, a $100 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit is required at the time of request. Lights are available at some sites at a fee of $20 per hour per field/court.
Pavilions are the only sites that may be reserved online. Instructions on how to use our website can be viewed below. You may also go directly to https://apm.activecommunities.com/nccde/Home to log in to your account. You may pay using a credit card on the secure site.
The Parks Permits office is located in the Gilliam Building at 67 Reads Way in New Castle, Delaware, 19720. The Gilliam Building is located in New Castle Corporate Commons between the New Castle County Government Center and the Wilmington University Wilson Graduate Center, across the street from Discover. There is a large, white “67” on our door. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Our office does not process requests after 3:30pm.
Via email or fax
You may download and print all required forms from this webpage. Completed forms can be sent via fax to (302) 395 5650. Our fax machine is located in a secure, locked room. Completed forms can also be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Please send all email correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the first available employee is able to assist you. Only the Parks Permits department has access to this fax number and email so that the payment information you list on your application is protected. We shred all payment information after processing unless otherwise requested.
Please contact our office with any questions or concerns you may have. We are glad to be of service.
Bruce Hunter - Parks Permits Supervisor
Sam Mizenko - Secretary
Hannah Ein - Part-time Secretary
Marilyn Monk - Part-time Secretary