Historic Review Board
*For more information on Historic Preservation, visit our Historic Planning page.
Information Regarding Virtual Public Meetings and Hearings:
In accordance with 29 Del. C. Section 10001 et.al., all Public Hearings will be held as virtual meetings utilizing Zoom Webinar. The Multipurpose Room of the James H. Gilliam, Jr. Building located at 67 Reads Way will be accessible during scheduled hearing times for members of the public to attend virtual meetings in-person. The appropriate weblink, call-in number(s) and webinar ID number for all hearings may be found approximately two (2) business days prior to the scheduled hearing date at the top of the appropriate meeting *agenda.
*NOTE: Up-to-date public hearing agendas including Zoom meeting log-in information are available in our Agenda Center or through the Scheduled Meeting links below.
Additional information regarding Virtual Public Meetings may be found at: Virtual Meetings-Land-Use
Note for Applicants only:
Applicants must submit presentation materials electronically to the Department of Land Use no less than five (5) business days prior to the scheduled public hearing. Please email us with any questions.
Regular Meetings (Public Hearings)
- 5 p.m.
- Business meetings held the first Tuesday of the month
- Public hearings held the third Tuesday of the month
- Note: dates, times and/or locations of meetings and hearings are subject to change.
- New Castle County Government Center
87 Read’s Way
New Castle, DE 19720
- Karen Anderson, AIA, LEED BD+C
- John T. Brook, Esq.
- John R. Davis, PE - Chair
- Stephen L. Johns, PE, PLS
- Paresh (Perry) Patel, MBA, CHA
- Barbara H. Silber, MA, RPA
- Rafael X. Zahralddin-Aravena, Esq.
- Two vacancies
The Historic Review Board makes recommendations and delineations for historic district boundaries, maintains a survey of historic properties, and reviews permits relative to historic properties. For the exact language defining the board’s responsibilities, please see Section 40.30.330 of the Unified Development Code. Members are appointed by the county executive and County Council.
- UDC articles 30, 15, 31
- IBC (New Castle County Code Chapter 6 - Building Code) - sections dealing with building and demolition permits for historic structures
- Certification agreement between the State of Delaware and New Castle County, effective September 16, 1986, conferring on the County Certified Local Government Status
- Guidelines for implementation of a certified local government program in Delaware
For more information on Historic Preservation, visit our Historic Planning page.