Voucher Portability: 

                          Live Where You Want

The HCV Program is about Choice, and one of the choices voucher holders may make is to move, whether for personal, employment, family or financial reasons. When this happens, a family’s Voucher can move with them from one Public Housing Authority (PHA) to another in a process known as Portability, also known as "Porting" the Voucher.

The Portability process begins with your current HCV/Section-8 caseworker, wherever you currently live.


Current NCCHA Clients Porting Elsewhere

If you are a current client of New Castle County Housing Authority and would like to move elsewhere with your voucher, please contact your Housing Assistant. You will need to complete a Request for Portability, which can be emailed to your HA or completed in our office.


Porting to NCCHA from Another PHA

Changing PHA’s takes about 45-60 days, so clients should ensure they will have stable living arrangements during the process. Please note that some things are different between PHAs, often including payment standards and the calculation of bedroom sizes. NCCHA’s current payment standards for both rent and utilities are listed on our homepage

Regarding Voucher size (number of bedrooms), the standards are based on the assumption that each bedroom will accommodate no more than two (2) persons. The family size does not dictate the size of unit the family must actually lease, nor does it determine who within a household will share a bedroom/sleeping room.

In determining bedroom size, NCCHA will include the presence of children to be born to a pregnant woman, children who are in the process of being adopted, children whose custody is being obtained, children currently under a 50% or more joint custody decree, as well as children who are temporarily away at school or temporarily in foster care. A Live-in Aide and the Live-in Aide’s family are not family members. A Live-in Aide will generally be provided a separate bedroom. No additional bedrooms are provided for a Live-in aide’s family on the voucher. 

Bedroom size will also be determined using the following guidelines, with the expectation of two same-sex family members per room:


Please Note that the payment standards and voucher sizes listed are general guidelines. No specific household’s HAP standard or Voucher size is guaranteed until it is determined by the PHA on a case-by-case basis and reported to the family in writing, generally during the intake briefing.


If you are porting to NCCHA, have your current housing authority send your paperwork to:

New Castle County Housing Authority
ATTN: Jacqueline Pizarro
77 Read’s Way
New Castle, DE 19720 

Or email: portability@newcastlede.gov.

Update 7/16/2021