Victim Services Unit

Victims and their families often experience many emotions, such as: shock, disbelief, anger, fear, frustration, or guilt.

The New Castle County Division of Police, Victim Services Unit, provides information and support to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Additional support is provided to children and elderly victims as well as family members of homicide victims or surviving members of suicide.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I sign a warrant and where do I go?

Once an officer provides you with a victim assistance resource card with their name and police report number, you may go to Justice of the Peace Court #11 to sign a warrant. JP Court #11 is open 24 hours and is located at 2 Penns Way, Suite 100A in New Castle, DE 19720 and the telephone number is (302) 323-4450.

What is the difference between a criminal no contact order and a PFA order?

A judge typically orders a criminal no contact with the victim(s). It is normally in place until the case is adjudicated by the Attorney General’s Office. The Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) is a civil matter. Spouses, former spouses, family members, persons cohabitating together, persons living separate with a child or children in common, and persons who are or were involved in a dating relationship may file for a PFA order. The PFA order can last one year or longer.

How can we assist you?

We can provide you with the status of your case, verify court dates and times, accompany you to court, guide you through the criminal justice system, provide resources, and explain the dynamics of victimization which includes the cycle of domestic violence.

Are undocumented residents eligible for assistance?

Yes. Every resident and visitor in New Castle County is eligible to call 9-1-1 for police and medical emergencies, regardless of their immigration status.

Is an unwanted sexual activity by an intimate partner a crime?

Yes. Any kind of unwanted sexual activity by anyone, including an intimate partner is a crime. You have the right to call 9-1-1 to report the incident.

How can I report additional information after reporting a crime?

You may call the non-emergency at (302)573-2800, in order to report additional information pertaining to a crime previously reported to the police.

Here are some of the services we provide:

Explanation of the criminal justice system process to the victims.

Presentation of options, such as filing for a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA), shelter, mental health counseling, and other resources.

Discuss dynamics of domestic violence and the effects on children.

Provide court accompaniment, if available.

All services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL.

Please contact a Victim Service Specialist at (302) 395-8193, (302) 395-8135, or (302) 395-8117 for bilingual assistance.